171 THE HILL, BURFORD OX18 4NE
Parish Priest: Fr Andrew Foster (Carterton). Tel 01993 842463
Presbytery: Fr Bernard Garratt (retired) in residence. Tel 01993 823219
Re-opening the church – update
We had our first service in over four months on Sunday 26 July and it was an encouraging start to the new way of doing things. The measures put in place to comply with the numerous items of advice and legislation were successful. We hope to continue with Sunday Mass but also weekday Masses subject to having volunteers for stewarding duties. The rules and regulations listed last week will remain in force.
- For both Sunday and weekday Masses please come early. Please do not come if you are suffering cold or flu symptoms.
- There will be a one-way system, IN at the front door, OUT at the back door. An exception will be made for wheel chair users to come in at the back door.
- There will be a limit of about 25 attendees, first come first served. There will be stewards outside the Church to control the queue (we hope!) and inside to show you to your pews. Please do what they ask.
- Your name and telephone number will be taken at the door for track and trace purposes. It will be kept on paper, not a computer, and will be ceremonially burnt after 3 weeks – all to comply with GDPR.
- Please wear a mask and gloves (preferably bring your own) and sanitise your hands both when entering and leaving the Church. Sanitiser will be available.
- Social distancing will be in force – one metre plus – except for families who may huddle.
- Doors and windows will be kept open so wrap up warm.
- The toilet will be closed.
- Lighting of votive candles is prohibited.
- The Sunday services will be quite different with changes for both 9.15ers and 11.30ers. The major changes are:-
- No singing. The Church’s hymnals and missals will not be available but please feel free to bring your own.
- Sunday Mass sheets will be available but do not return them at the end of Mass – take them home with you.
- There will be no collection on Sundays but buckets will be placed by the back door to receive your contributions on the way out. As the Church has received no income during lockdown, please be as generous as you can.
- Communion will take place at the end of the Mass. The Host will be distributed in the hand only. Please approach the Priest with arms outstretched, receive the Host and leave the Church by the back door.
- There will be no bidding prayers, no offertory procession, hand sanitiser replaces holy water, no handshakes or kisses of peace and the homily will be short!
Updated information will be available here on our website and via the weekly email. If you do not yet receive the email from Carolyn Walton and you would like to be added to the list of recipients please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
31 July 2020
Although we hope that the church is now open for Sunday services on a regular basis, the flower, cleaning and reading rotas are temporarily suspended.
Please see the weekly Newsletter page for updates and links to sites that livestream Masses can be found here
The minutes of the latest Parish Council meeting are available on the Parish Council page
The readings for the Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time can be found on the Masses page.